The Leaves of Fate -- signed, limited edition
- Author: Minkoff, George Robert
- Binding: Clothbound DJ
- Pages: 432
- Size: 6x9"
- Pub. Year: 2011
- In Stock: Yes
RECENTLY PUBLISHED: Volume Three of the Epic Novel In the Land of Whispers
HISTORICAL FICTION FINALIST FOR FOREWORD REVIEW'S BOOK OF THE YEAR
ONE HUNDRED COPIES OF THE FIRST EDITION HAVE BEEN SPECIALLY BOUND, NUMBERED, and SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR. COPIES ARE EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE FROM THE PUBLISHER.
JUST OPTIONED FOR MINI-SERIES BY FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA PRODUCTIONS
The Leaves of Fate is the third and final volume of an epic fictional chronicle, In the Land of Whispers. The three books present the extraordinary histories of the hero of Jamestown, Captain John Smith, and the great Elizabethan explorer before him, Sir Francis Drake. Smith's journals record the events of his own life, and reprise the tales told him around the campfires at Jamestown by Jonas Profit, an alchemist who accompanied Drake on his voyages.
In this final volume Smith is forced to return to England, never to set foot again in Jamestown. Profit has died, but not before passing along the final scenes of Drake's downfall, as well as that of Profit's teacher, the alchemist John Dee. Despite a subsequent expedition to map the New England coast, Smith is cast aside by the Virginia Company, and reduced to the role of a keening witness, all the while the colonies move inexorably toward becoming a slave economy built around the cultivation of tobacco. In London, Smith's reunion with Pocahontas in England is brief and bittersweet, but despite continuing hardship and neglect, Smith becomes the best-selling author of his time.
The first volume is concerned with initiation. The second volume with trial and expulsion. This final volume is the book of exile.
Read a sample chapter: Chapter One (PDF)
Watch the Book Trailer on vimeo: In the Land of Whispers
Watch the Book Trailer on YouTube: In the Land of Whispers
"The Leaves of Fate is a great feast of a novel, full of vivid incident, memorable history, intrigue, and historical personages famous, infamous, notorious." -- Richard Ford
"George Minkoff is one of the bravest men alive. He has gambled that a three-part epic novel about 17th century Colonial America -- written in a language that mimics the speech of the time -- can hold the interest of 21st century readers and bring satisfactions and delights as a work of contemporary fiction. Remarkably enough, he has won his bet." -- Paul Auster
George Robert Minkoff was raised on Long Island. He graduated from Clark University in 1965. For four decades he has been a noted antiquarian and rare book dealer living in the Berkshires of Massachusetts and New York City. Mr. Minkoff began writing plays in the late 1960s, but a decade later the publisher of Putnam, William Targ, urged him instead to write novels.
- In the Land of Whispers (3 volume set) - Specially priced set of George Minkoff's epic historical novel about Jamestown and the New World
- The Dragons of the Storm - Volume Two of George Minkoff's trilogy of the New World, Sir Francis Drake and Captain John Smith. Just published.
- The Dragons of the Storm -- signed, limited edition - Volume Two of George Minkoff's fictional chronicle of the New World, Sir Francis Drake and Captain John Smith.
- The Leaves of Fate - Volume Three of George Minkoff's trilogy of the New World, Sir Francis Drake and Captain John Smith.
- The Weight of Smoke - Volume One of George Minkoff's visionary novel about Jamestown, "In the Land of Whispers."
- The Weight of Smoke -- signed, limited edition - A visionary novel of the New World starring Sir Francis Drake and Captain John Smith.