- Author: Butts, Mary
- Binding: Paperback
- Pages: 384
- Size: 5-1/2 x 8-1/2"
- Pub. Year: 1992
- ISBN: 0-929701-18-6
- In Stock: No
Preface by Paul West.
Afterword by Barbara Wagstaff.
Armed with Madness, very much a Jazz Age novel, introduces Scylla Taverner, her lover Picus, her brother Felix, and their closely knit circle of English, Russian and American friends, all in the vigor of youth and overflowing with passionate intensity. Their discovery of an ancient chalice at the bottom of a rustic well ignites a fury of conflicting emotion, and propels them on an adventure of mythic proportion -- a virtual re-enactment of the Grail Quest. Death of Felicity Taverner catches up with them five years later in a mystery that hinges on the destruction of the Dorset wilderness. Mourning their friend and cousin Felicity, they wonder whether her death was accidental? Murder? A suicide? Meanwhile, Felicity's opportunistic widower unveils his plans to savage their beloved Cornwall wilderness with a scheme for a vacation-home development, and threatens blackmail. Grief turns toward vengeance, and a struggle to preserve their lands turns ultimately, inevitably, to a violent climax.
[Reviews of the original publication of Armed with Madness]:
"Crazy as they are, Miss Butts' young people are a fascinating 'bunch.' The book is brilliant and subtle ... [and] might be described as Henry James in the idiom of 1928."
[Reviews of the original publication of Death of Felicity Taverner]:
"This is an intellectual shocker of the first order. It is more than that, however. There is a tremulous beauty in all the descriptions of landscape ... and the memory of the dead woman hangs about the pages like a perfume."
-- London Sunday Times
She drank with Hemingway at Les Deux Magots; Virgil Thompson courted her; among her best friends she counted H.D. and Bryher and corresponded at length with Charles Williams, but Virginia Woolf hated her perfume. She lived more outrageously than Jean Rhys and was considered a better writer than Katherine Mansfield...
- A Sacred Quest: Essays on the Life and Writings of Mary Butts
- Ashe of Rings and Other Writings
- Mary Butts: Scenes from the Life
- The Classical Novels -- The Macedonian and Scenes from the Life of Cleopatra (cloth)
- The Classical Novels -- The Macedonian and Scenes from the Life of Cleopatra (paper) - Mary Butts's ground-breaking historical novels reissued in a beautiful new cover.
- The Complete Stories of Mary Butts - All 34 of Mary Butts's exquisite short stories, including two never before published
- The Taverner Novels -- Armed with Madness and Death of Felicity Taverner (cloth)